Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Power to the Tower 50k and other adventures in OD 100 training

 its been awhile since I've updated my blog! just wanted to catch everyone up to speed for april.
 What I've been into: ran a VERY well organized first year 50k ( the non ultra distances were also held last year) put on by my good friend, phil horner, owner of Fleet Feet Sports in Kingsport, Tn. The course, about 32 miles, was about 7,000 ft of climbing and about 85% single track. It was a hot day and very challenging course. I felt great and was really running well, but as the day grew warmer, I felt I needed to dial back my efforts, and once hearing I was an hour ahead of the second place female. I kinda went into training run mode. ( first hot day of the year,  ( 80F broke records for high temps that day, and I was feeling it--) took a wrong turn up the mtn about a mile from the finish and got a bonus mile my garmin was 33 miles at the finish. ended up running 6:33:46. so good for the win, great time on my feet and great heat training for OD 100. win- win.  I highly recommend this event. it's in between terrapin and promise land (phil was careful and mindful not to conflict with LUS and I feel that is commendable) ,  FUN primarily all single track, plentiful aid stations,  and the finish line was AMAZING, food, beer soda, and rocking music. 
Phil and his crew did an amazing job. It would be so awesome to see more familiar faces out there next year. I think it takes guts to undertake RDing an ultra ( and phil did a stellar job) , and i know he would greatly appreciate the support of the local ultrarunners from SWVA and NETN. So please put this on your calendars for next year. :) 

                                               love my mason jar!! :)





                                   Blurry finish line pick!! I wore my Salomon S lab 5 soft grounds for this race and  they were amazing. The S Lab series really works well for me.  I wore my Advanced skin 12 hydration pack and SOO glad I opted to carry a pack. I would of DIED out there with just a handheld.
     for my fuel, I used aidstation fare, GU roctane, GU chomps,  GU brew electrolyte tablets. ( I just eat them) and GU brew recovery drink post race. :)  took a couple S! caps during the race because it was so hot.
 I'd like to thank Salomon and GU  and Mountain Sports, LTD for all their support:) truly am appreciative for all the do for me!  Them believing in me, has given me the courage and enabled me  to chase my dreams this year. Very thankful.


  OKAY ASIDE from the 50k I've been doing alot of THIS:


AND ALOT OF THIS: 



                                             Been out there with jack and todd doing this THREE OR FOUR     EVENINGS A WEEK:

 SOME OF THIS: 
                                                     aren't they cute in their MSL hats?


ALOT, ALOT, ALOT of THIS: 



   

                                                 And then I really try to do THIS as much as I can too:



 Really excited for MAY!! I have alot of cool things coming up this month: TAPER for one! 
Pacing Marlin Yoder at MMT:) MAY25 Mtn sports and I are hosting a GU nutrition clinic following the Bill Gatton freedom 5k in downtown bristol, Va. HERE is a link to more info. Hope to see you guys there!! :) 


1 comment:

run4daysbill said...

Great stuff, Jenny! Cannot wait to see how well you do at OD 100!!!