Wednesday, July 3, 2013

IMTR 50 Training, the bear, crazy 8's pacing and wolf run around the corner

Well slowly but surely I've been recovering from my botched attempt at OD 100. I really thought I would of bounced back sooner, but running the 75 miles I did-- I felt it the weeks afterward. It only took a couple of days for the soreness to go away and my blisters to dry up, but my energy level was just terrible.

I was very very tired. So I slept alot. I felt really fatigued and slow when I tried to run; So I just put running on hold. and ate way more. ( I lost about 10 lbs post old dominion-- and while yep, i looked fit and cut up-- i FELT LIKE CRAP) I was determined to dig myself out of the hole of energy debt I was in.
so after what seemed like weeks of barely if any running I ran 13 miles on the huckleberry trail ( parked in christiansburg and ran to VT campus and back with some bonus miles on some side trails and a lil ways down 460 so I would get the 13. I didn't push just stayed patient and felt pretty solid





So FINALLY!!! this week, I decided it was time to resume serious training so I went for a 15 mile run on the IMT. and I FELT GREAT. It was SO nice to just cruise along super familiar trails. Essentially WHERE I began trail and ultra running. While I was running, I could feel the excitement build HOW cool it was going to be for me to run IMTR 50. THIS IS A HARD 50. That is one reason why I have never ran it in years past. I have only ran the 16 and then volunteered at the mile 29 AS. BECAUSE I knew EXACTLY what it WAS!! I very difficult, technical 50 with tons of big climbs and it's VERY hot and humid. the finish rate is not that awesome for this race. Course awareness-- it can be such an advantage. however for IMTR, one reason I never entered before was because I have suffered on these trails SO MUCH for my own training. I used to say : "i can only IMAGINE how overwhelming it would feel during a race -- getting to the top of rowland falls and then having the knowledge of exactly what you have to do to get back to damascus." NOW - I'm thinking-- YEAH! I can get to the top of rowland falls and I know every rock, root and bump in the trail to get back to damascus. So yes, I'm excited about IMTR50. I just want to have a solid run before pinhoti 100, I'm running Blue Ridge Relay the week after ( 3 legs) so no biggie. and yes, it was a confidence builder and just what I need to have a GOOD run on the IMT. It was heaven to feel energetic and bounce in my legs again.











during my run, I got to demo the new salted carmel GU. ITS AMAZING!!! My new favorite flavor!! I'm so thankful and appreciative to GU energy for all their support, being apart of the GU crew has been such a great experience. Good products, Good people who work for the company; and I'm super proud to represent for them:)
Also very thankful to Salomon for all their support of my ultrarunning this year. I love salmon shoes and gear so much, I really feel they are a tier above the rest. ( no, I'm not biased) but I am a HUGE shoe geek, and have been for almost 9 yrs. When it comes to running shoes, I KNOW THEM VERY VERY WELL. I also know what works for me, and so elated that I really haven't found a salomon shoe from this year's line up, that wouldn't work. I really feel there is a shoe for everyone in the salomon line up.

And lastly Mountain Sports, LTD. These guys have been my rock this year. They have believed in me and my abilities, without fail. Even when my confidence has been shattered, and I don't even have faith in myself. They build me up, and send me out the door to go conquer. :) LOVE my Mtn Sports family so much. I am in the middle of the spring 2014 buying cycle and it's been a blast working with the cheers, going to meetings, doing the ordering. I'm SO excited about the gear Mtn sports is going to have coming in for spring 2014. LADIES: SUPER CUTE running, yoga, mtn lifestyle apparel. I think everyone will be SO happy when they come in the store. I have worked so hard on these orders!! Also super excited about some new things patagonia has coming down the road for spring 2014 running related.
Also, Jesse Cheers ( who is an amazing photographer and I look to see big things from him and his talent) and I did a photoshoot for mtn sports showcasing patagonia running clothes and salomon shoes that are available in the store. We went out to damascus on the AT and the creeper trail, and I ran with maverick and we got some GREAT shots. AS soon as I get my hands on some of the pictures I will share them!! The magazine I think will be ready in a couple of weeks too.

Other than that, I have been spending tons of quality time with my boys:)




















training: running 30 miles on saturday in damascus starting at 8 am- running IMTR 30 course ( dtown to skulls gap and back)

racing: this upcoming week is SHORT RACES on tap--- YAY! it's my favorite week of summer!!! going to run the bear at boone NC, pace the 9 min pace group at Crazy 8's with jamie mains, and then run wolf run at bays mtn:)
really looking forward to my favorite week of summer.

Lastly, I have some new adventures in the the works!! fingers crossed it all works out- but in addition to running in the woods for long periods of time, working out, mommying, working for mtn sports, race directing ( YES! CTR 10k is a month away and I have been working hard!! ) I think I may have managed to add a couple more irons to the fire- details soon ( if it works out)

Location:Glory Ln,Abingdon,United States

1 comment:

Lenny Macdonald said...

It sounds like you are on the road back to kicking butt! I always watch to determine who has real grit by how they bounce back from adversity. Jennifer, you are showing that you are a real champion, on the trails and in life!