Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Jarmans invitational marathon

When I first heard about the JIM I was intrigued but doubtful I would
Run it. The brain child
Of
Dan spearin: It is a 29
Mile race up and down jarmans gap rd in Crozet, Va. - 5 times - 7,200 ft of vertical climbing and descent- no flat- just straight uphill and straight down hill. Even on the race website it's selling point was: "this race sucks!"
The more I thought about it I decided that: "you know, this will be killer masochist training." And I'm right! I know for Mmtr I need to have my quads very prepared for all the ups and downs. So I signed up. :)
This event was free so I figured it would be more of a FA type event- but while I didn't want to race, I wanted to have a good solid training effort.
I drove up the evening before and stayed in waynesboro and had booked a room at the holiday inn express- I walked in and the receptionist was like- we are soo full is there anyway you'd stay in this king room down stairs it's a little musty but will give you the rate of 60 bucks- ( my rate was 139) score!! My room was fine way bigger than what I booked and just smelled like any normal basement it wasn't a big deal. I am now a freak post pinhoti about eating out before a run so I had a tomato and basil sandwich I had packed (from
Tomatoes and basil I grew myself) and pretzels and a peach and it was lights out. It was so nice to sleep early and sleep in both for this event with the 12 noon start-
I made my pilgrimage to Crozet Running to see my good friend Michelle Anderson - her husband john is a friend and fellow ultrarunner as well- and they own this amazing running store in Crozet


- If you are ever in the cville area stop by and check it out. Got to have a great conversation with her- picked up some Crozet running merch- then headed on to the race start- you pass all these cute horse farms and this great peach orchard. This is the cutest town :)
The race start it was like a family reunion. I loved seeing all my friends! I hadn't raced much- tj100k and highlands sky and I really missed chillin with my peeps!!












The start of the race was no biggie- super relaxed. And I just tried to find my rhythm. Knowing this would be a long day. With a 12 noon start it wasn't too hot but it was warm and humid very humid.
I got to run with Rachel bell Kelly who has been a fb friend for like two yrs - so that was great to get to run with her- she went on to scorch the course and run really strong all day to claim first female.
But pretty much how I described the course is how it was- up 3 miles down 3 miles -- over and
Over- I listened to music, I talked a lot with my friends on the climbs- I ran with the intention of one not killing myself during a training run - and two- just was so grateful
To be out there doing what I love. It literally brings tears to my eyes when I compare how I FEEL running in 2014 to running in 2013. I'm stronger and have so much more energy . Running feels good again- I was just so drained before and ran tired- it was a grind- to get to run happy once more is a tremendous gift :) I'm so grateful- I know I'm not the fastest out there right now but with all I'm doing with work, my business and race directing- I'm so thankful for my journey and to look back over my shoulder and see growth and gained strength and perspective. And I love these people I run with- Sophie, Annie, bill gentry, Marc, bob, Christain, Helen etc etc if you guys only knew how much I value you! Sophie took some pictures from the climb on lap 2





So nope no racing we had fun - and I also in addition to my new root beer gu (http://www.guenergylabs.com) lemonade roctane gu, and new roctane electrolyte tabs with ginger (psst. These are amazing) I ate two doughnuts from
Sugar shack in Richmond - yum! And guzzled Mtn dew out of a 2 liter bottle. I'm soo unhealthy during these things!
And I sprayed myself
Off with a hose from someone's yard along the course every lap. To keep cool:) and get all the salt and sweat off of me.
Very fun day I ended up with a 6:19 finishing time. I was very cool with that given the vert and how I putted around and wasn't in a hurry- and what was awesome I just felt like I was getting started- my feet didn't hurt and I really am excited to run a 50 and 100k this fall because I do love longer efforts- post run was great to catch up with all my peeps and fellowship





I highly recommend this event and hope they are having it again next yr!!
Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: