Monday, September 8, 2008

what would it be like to live a century?



 I have been asking myself that lately. My grandmother is celebrating her 100th birthday on Saturday.  I am in awe of the "longevity gene" that runs on my mothers side of the family. My grandmother's mother lived to be 108.  I remember attending her 100th birthday party when i was a little girl. It was quite a large event, and here 26 years later her daughter, is celebrating her 100th birthday. wow. 

My grandmother has seen so many changes through out her lifetime, and so many historical events that occured through out the 20th century, it actually blows my mind how she can recount these events and give me her perspective on them through her eyes. She experienced many moments of sheer joy and happiness, and also moments of shattering heartbreak and toiled very hard many years while she raised her family of 11 children.  I asked her if she had any advice for me on how to "make it" through life. She told me to always trust in the Lord, not in people( because they can often disappoint you), and to be able to adapt and deal with change because that is what life is all about. Life is always in motion and always changing. So even when terrible events occur, it's important to just keep going, even when it's hard, even when it's the last thing you want to do, you have to "keep on going". 
such sound advice, from such a spectacular lady. 
  I had the pleasure of living with my grandmother for a summer after I graduated from college in 2001. It was such a positive experience for me to get to know her as a person. She taught me so many things. I am so appreciative to her for teaching me to make gravy, cornbread in a cast iron skillet. She taught me how to make biscuits and fry chicken. We tacked together several quilts that summer.  That summer although it wasn't that exciting to be living day in and day out up in a holler in buchanan co, va. probably taught me more about life in general, than a semester of college. It was time well spent, and an experience that I wouldn't trade for anything.
Happy Birthday Mamaw!! I Love you!

 the picture is one of a sunrise I took this weekend with my new Nikon D60.  I REALLY am starting to like this camera. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awh! What a great post...it is awesome that you took such wonderful advantage of the summer that you lived with her...many people may have seen that opportunity in a different light & not have learned as much as you did :) I can't wait to celebrate to & this post reminded me of why I am going to be there...something so worth having a party for!

Smiles,
Amy

PS - love the pic...you are so talented sugar!