Friday, November 23, 2018

Black Friday squirrel gravy

 Thanksgiving is usually a big hunting week for my family- we got to the farm Wednesday - Todd and I deer hunted - but never saw any deer 
Which happens! We had fun anyway 





Todd got bored and feel asleep on me in the blind 


So yesterday (thanksgiving) before he left my parents farm my 11 yr old son shot a fox squirrel- it was a great educational moment for me as I had never skinned and gutted a squirrel before only deer and fish was the extent of my reportoire 




This guy was huge! My dad and I skinned , gutted and cleaned mister squirrel with Todd helping and observing- 
And once I got home I placed him in some salt water to soak over night in the fridge 
Todd and I decided we would have the squirrel for breakfast 🍳 
So I woke up at 5 am this morning to start the task of preparing the squirrel- I decided to use my instapot to cook him for phase 1. I placed the squirrel, some water, and salt/pepper and some sprigs of rosemary in the pot and cooked it on the chicken setting for 40 min- 
While the squirrel was cooking I knew it was going to be good because it smelled good :) 


This is what the squirrel looked like after it was cooked and I now have stock for my gravey so that’s incredible and I can’t say enough how good this smelled- honestly it was like I cooked chicken 
So I rolled the pieces of squirrel in seasoned flour and fried it like fried chicken 
I made biscuits from scratch
Then lastly I made gravey with the grease and some
Flour/ milk and the stock from cooking the squirrel 



 The lumps are some bits of sausage I fried with the squirrel to give it more grease 




Todd enjoying the harvest of his hunt 

So end of the day- I felt this experience was so worthwhile- Todd and I both cultivated skills of sustainability- and found it very tasty and enjoyable!and this thanksgiving weekend we are both grateful - As I told
Him when we were having our breakfast “we will never starve” ♥️🤗

No comments: