Monday, November 12, 2018

Hiking Max Patch to Hot Springs NC on the AT

This weekend my cousin and I embarked upon another hiking adventure together. My cousin Sherry is chipping away at her section hiking project. She knew she had this big day coming up and enlisted me because she knew I’d keep her laughing and moving and wasn’t afraid of being out all day long on my feet. 
  We left Friday evening and drove to Newport TN- and got a hotel room- (we decided to not camp out due to a massive cold front that was moving in ) that morning we drove to hot springs and met our shuttle a lovely lady named Beverly - who met us at the trail head beside laughing heart hostel - and then proceeded to drive us 50 min up up up to max patch- 
We were met with ice, frost and sciffs of snow. 
It was very cold and windy on the bald- and honestly it shocked and awed sherry and I both- the difference from down low on the mtn to there 


Getting ready to start! And brr! It about froze my fingers to take the pics I did up there 


It really was that freaking cold 



Reminded me a lot of mt Rogers area 
I will have to go back when it’s warmer for the 360 views- 


I think I’m inwardly praying “help me, Lord”😂 this was about 3 miles in and I’m doing the math of how long it will take us to hike 18 more miles 



Stopped for a snack about mile 5  feeling little warmer because we have been descending 


We found this gigantic old growth tree beside the trail and both hugged it we were so happy to see such a gigantic tree 



Clouds trying to break up some 


We made it to bluff mtn mile 10 and it was cold there again- we got chilled very quickly so out come all the layers once more 


Just liked the way that looked 




It warmed some about 36-40 and in the sun didn’t feel too bad- about mile 14 we stopped for  late lunch - I brought my jet boil and heated us up some chicken noodle soup- the warm broth really hit the spot. 


Sherry enjoying my back country  culinary skills 


 Sherry took this at about mile 19 - we were almost to hot springs we could look over the ridges and see the French broad river - so we were excited to be so close 


Looking back to bluff mtn- I  about froze my ass off up there geez. 
 It was a great day in the mtns and really enjoyed getting to have a girls weekend with my cousin.  I encourage anyone to get out there and walk on the AT - it’s always a positive character building experience 

No comments: