Monday, October 22, 2018

having the courage and stubbornness to keep showing up....

   Today I was driving listening to a podcast and I began to think about the evolution of my use of technology and social media-- and i started wondering about my blog. My poor neglected blog who once I logged in, was right here waiting for me- it's been here all along. This blog was born from my need to reach out and communicate with others, ( namely the running community) I had started a 10k race on the  va creeper trail as a way to annually fund an academic scholarship in memory of my brother Todd Richardson, and his motto was "freedom to be" even at his funeral we had stickers printed up with "freedom to be" on them and gave them to everyone who attended.
  I was a young mom with a toddler, new born-- newly introduced to ultrarunning community and i had ALOT to say- as you can see from the sheer verbiage of my posts.  I loved sharing my adventures  and my thoughts and many times I never placed much thought of who read my blog -( perfect punctuation or spelling-- sorry!) I just pushed it out there into the universe.

That some compulsion hit me today in the truck- so the purpose of this post isn't really to update everyone on whats' been going on with me sine 2016- ( that would be WAY too long of post) but it's more of an attempt to write more because it brings me joy. Share my adventures and thoughts, because for whatever reasons- I really feel compelled to- I'm really trying to intentionally cultivate more of this in my life.

  Since I said it's not really an update- now i'm feeling- that's kinda a lie- how about a super condensed update?  SO here are some ramblings to catch you up to speed with me:

I'm 40 now. how did that happen?  I'm still running- I run every day ( almost) at least 5 days a week - but I don't run as far as I used to- or would like to! I just feel for where I am in my life- I'm healthy- I run to be healthy. perhaps another season in my life will open up for racing, but  after I finished yeti 100 in 2017- I decided I would take sabbatical and not return to racing until I really had a fire and passion for it. SO at the moment. I just enjoy having the capability to run because it feels good.  I run a lot in my neighborhood ( it's very hilly) and on the Va creeper trail, 10 mile-ish trail runs at Mt Rogers or Roan mtn...

My husband brock runs ultras now. say what? yes. in a complete weirdo role reversal- brock has lost 70 lbs gotten mean lean and fast and is training for MMTR 50 in a couple weeks!! he has an amazing crew and consultant ( haha)  I think he has raced 7 ultras in 2018- pretty amazing.

my children are growing much to fast. Jack turns 14 in november and Todd turns 11. A lot of my time and focus is on the boys and their activities - and I don't regret a second of it because I truly feel this is just the season I'm in where the boys need their mom/uber driver - and brock needs his crew/ and my 4 dogs and 2 cats /house need their caretaker. so I have been mommying and domestic engineering hard core.



over the past couple years Ive cultivated more interests and hobbies too- I love to bow hunt, and trout fish, and I'm a very beginner fly fisher lady but I enjoy trying to not get tangled in the trees.  I enjoy being outside.
I really love to cook- and really have had to focus much more on my diet and nutrition that when I ultra ran and had a blazing hot furnace to burn all the unhealthy stuff I ate -
I don't prescribe to any diet but I do try to clean whole foods and bake things with almond flour and coconut flour- have been off gluten for about a month- it makes a big difference for me- I do eat carbs protein and fat- we need it all! but just try to select good choices-

oh I also play a lot of golf and tennis - I suck at both- but enjoy trying to learn and improve.

 I've done some backpacking this year with my cousin who is section hiking the AT.


For my 40th- I went on a trip to Key Largo with Brock- and man, I love love love the keys.  Definitely want to go back to snorkel more. SO fun ( and relaxing)


and I'm happy it's fall. I LOVE summer it's easily my favorite season, but I'm digging the leaves changing and cooler temperatures.  I'm making a pot of chili tonight ( with pumpkin and turmeric so it's so very fall) and gluten free corn bread. ( yes corn meal by itself and grits are both gluten free- it's that awesome?!) that changed my life to find that out.

  Well, Cheers y'all!  I truly hope if you made it through this blog/read this update that your day is amazing. You are awesome. Don't make yourself small to make others comfortable. Lean in and heed the projects that call to you.  I feel everyone has off seasons/winters or periods of dormancy - parts of my has had so much inner conflict and turmoil with myself for NOT producing lately - but then part of me is so proud of honoring and acknowledging that part of myself that was so tired and needed rest. All my creativity and drive and passion- it's all still here- it's my hope that I still have many seasons to blossom, bear fruit and produce in my lifetime.
























No comments: